Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Year But it Seems Like a Blink of an Eye

When I was in 5th grade  (Catholic school) I got in some kind of trouble i have no idea what, a minor infraction I'm sure, regardless, as a 'penance' I had to learn a poem and recite it in front of the class within a week or so. There were stipulations of course of length and blah blah, but I remember my dad helping me pick the poem and memorizing it.

SEA FEVER by John Masefield. To this day I can still recite that poem (still have a fear of standing in front of people and speaking, thanks Sister) I learned shortly after his passing that it was his favorite poem.-

Last verse...
'I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life, to the gulls way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all i ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trip's over.'

Miss you dad, love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment