Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sequines and Rhinestones?

Recently work has begun on my building at work. The work was scheduled to have this started on May 15th and it is now June 7th and they just broke ground. This is not to say work hadn’t started however. They finally put up the construction fence; we had the ceremonial dropping off of the port ‘o potties with sanitizing pumps. One day brought several men who stood and looked and pointed and once they felt satisfied with what they accomplished that was the end of that day. There were several of those days now that I think of it and one day where someone was testing out the port ‘o potty, I guess one needs to make sure all the equipment works (including the potties!). 

We were told that after two years of back and forth on the plans for this building, and I don’t even want to count the reiterations of designs, they still hadn’t crossed any ‘t’s’ so things got a bit behind, oh I hadn’t really noticed. 

Today I watched as the backhoe dugout a trench as several men stood and watched. Where are these jobs? I never see a job posted: ‘Wanted person who can stand around and watch and point.’ I know I can do that unless I am not allowed to express a comment like, “Did you mean to wear that shirt with those jeans? It really throws off the whole neon vest thing right, I mean like I don’t get what statement you’re making here.” And the hard hat, I know I could rock that  (add some rhinestones!) with the towel draped down the back of the neck. 

Now I am not trying to make fun of construction workers per se really, just an observation of the male species and how they tend to work. As I look out the window now there are two contraptions working to move cement blocks from one spot to a truck ostensibly to remove them from the soon to be major work area. This undertaking is using three gentlemen. One to operate each vehicle and one to direct, but it seems it also takes 5 additional to stand a few feet away and watch and discuss. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say they are discussing what is going on and not lunch or sports scores.  

This phenomenon is not just construction. We had the roof replaced on our house last week. It was crawling with workers! There was debris everywhere along with men standing and pointing and talking. I thought didn’t I just see this picture?   

Have you ever seen a group of women standing around watching another woman vacuuming, doing dishes after a party, or doing any task when there are other women around? No they all jump in and find something to do even to at least look busy! Even at a BBQ the men will gather at the grill and watch as one will grill the meat but in the kitchen all the women will pitch in to prepare everything else needed to complete the meal!  

I expect your thinking is there a point to this. Well, no not really did there need to be one? Time to grab my sequined vest and rhinestone hardhat and go watch the workers for a while, I think we are watching dirt this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment